Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sometimes Less Is More

So this winter, as in winters past, I have been contending with an issue that plagues many during the cold months - dry skin. Generally my hands are the only bits really affected, and I can deal with that - just keep slapping on hand lotion. However it seems that my face has decided to also wage war against me by developing dry patches this winter; and this, my friends, cannot be tolerated. But unlike the rest of the body, I can't keep applying lotion to my face all day. So what to do?

For the past few months I've been throwing every moisturizing product I have in my arsenal at it, and nothing has helped long term. While each does seem to help when first rubbed in, the dry patches will have returned within a few hours time .

While perusing the skin care aisle, once again trying to find the one product that would relieve my suffering, my eyes landed on Cetaphil. Years ago I did try a product from this brand but was not enthused with it. I had tested out their cleanser but found that my face didn't really feel clean after using it, so I dismissed it as a brand not for me. But I took a look at the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, and the packaging said for "dry, sensitive skin". DRY. I felt like I'd tried everything else, so I thought - what have I got to lose?

Three days after using this cream at night and the dry spots have disappeared. Really? Somehow I feel like a cruel joke has been played on me! I've been spending my money on products in pretty packaging with advertising that promised to cure all my skincare woes, and all this time, the answer to my problem lied in a very plain white tub from a company with minimal advertising? Again - really?

For those of you who don't know, Cetaphil focuses on producing products without adding any unecessary ingredients - such as fragrances - that can often aggravate skin. So, I don't know if it's the cream that has cured my dry skin or if there were ingredients in other products that were causing the problem which then subsided when I stopped using them. Or perhaps a combination of both? Whatever the reason, I am just glad to be rid of the issue.

And an added bonus: this cream is so thick that it takes very little to moisturize my entire face. This jar is going to last me forever!

Maybe one day I'll give their cleanser another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails