Thursday, July 8, 2010

CoverGirl Smoky ShadowBlast

I'm sure that everyone has seen some of the ads with Drew Barrymore showing a smoky, sultry eye - presumably achieved using CoverGirl's new product, the Smoky ShadowBlast.

In case you don't remember seeing them, here's a quick photo refresher. This one is Citrus Flair.

The CG site says-

The two different, specially contoured ends of our ShadowBlast stick make it easy to create a bold, smoky eye. A duo of expertly paired shades provide the bold, spotlight-ready looks loved by today's hottest makeup artists.

Another site's write-up even says - It's like having a makeup artist at your fingertips.

A smoky eye in just two easy steps - with the quality of a professional? Sounds good, right?

The step 1 side is finished to a curved dome. You're supposed to apply this all over the lid and - nope, that's it.


The step 2 side is finished to a flat ridge. This is supposed to be applied to the crease and along the lash line.


And now you are finished and should have a lovely, professional quality smoky eye. Right? Right???


Psst. Yes, that is my response in a word.

Firstly, let's take a look at the colors after applied. I had to go over my hand quite a few times with the green shade with a fair amount of pressure to get the color to show up well. While I don't mind having to do this on my hand, I would be concerned about all that pressure and tugging on my lid. With the copper shade, there is quite a bit of shimmer. While I'm all for a bit of shimmer, I would prefer it be on the lid rather than in the crease... I can't even wrap my head around shimmer in the crease.


I also have a small issue with the shape of side 2. Firstly, I didn't find that the shape was helpful in applying it. And secondly, even if it was a good design, the shape would get worn down quickly with some regular use, and its shape would become similar to step one's.


The test

So could these 2 steps really be all I'd need to produce a 'smoky eye'? And the bigger question, how long will the look last? Late one afternoon, after I'd removed the day's makeup, I applied the product on freshly cleaned skin to see how long it would last on its own - no primer or shadow to back it up. The product definitely did not give me the sultry Drew Barrymore eyes from the ads, but I pressed on. I don't have oily lids, so I thought I'd be able to get at least an hour or two before creasing set in. I was wrong.

Want to know how long?

30 minutes.

Disappointing.

I also tested it with Urban Decay Primer Potion to see if that would help, and that made it stretch for a little over an hour.

Two easy steps? Again, I say psst.

I can't, for certain, say anything about the quality of the other duos because I have not tried them, nor do I plan to. But I think you could say with some confidence that their quality would be similar to this.

Even though I am extremely disappointed in this product, I hoped to find a way to use it because I really hate to feel wasteful. The green shade is not my style at all, but I did like the copper a bit. I'd hoped I might be able to use it as a color base for shadows, but the texture of the chunky monkey glitter showed through the shadow in a bad way.

Luckily, though, fate and this blog have stepped in. As I was applying step 2 to my hand for the swatch photo, it broke! haha. Now I really don't feel bad about tossing it out.



Thanks, blog!

And a final note to CoverGirl: No smoky eye ever started with lime green!

*I was sent this product for free by BzzAgent. If you'd like to find out how you can sign up to receive free products, visit their site here. I was not compensated for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails