Friday, July 30, 2010

Everyone Loves a Dupe: Stila's Convertible Color in Peony

Back around January, I got a kit containing what were supposed to be some of the best products from Stila - one of which was a tiny compact of their Convertible Color in Peony. The convertible colors are cream products that you are supposed to be able to use for both cheek and lip color.

In the pan, this really doesn't look like anything special, and it actually looked like it would be far too dark for my pale skin. I thought it would end up becoming one of those lonely products that would be pushed to the back of a drawer and forgotten. But now - it's become one of my favorite blushes.

A little of this stuff goes a long way, so this tiny thing will still last me a very long time (6 months and I've gone through less than half), but I'd already begun dreading shelling out for the full-size once this is finished because it's $25.

But lucky me, I think I've found an acceptable dupe.


Next to it, I have NYC's Blushable Creme Stick in South St. Seashell, which runs between 4 and 5 dollars. I know they don't look identical in their packaging (and didn't I tell you they don't look very special there either?), but look what happens when they're applied to the skin.


The NYC creme stick is on the left and the Stila on the right. They're still not identical when applied opaquely, but when they are blended out (as I've done on the bottom of my hand), they fade together.

I do have to say that the formulations aren't identical. The Stila product is much more thick and creamy, while the NYC one is thinner and seems to take a tad longer to blend out. However, the NYC product is easily buildable, and it will blend out without too much effort. (And though the flash in the photos suggests it, there is no glitter or shimmer in either one.)

I've worn both products for entire days without fading or smudging. However, I do wear powder every day which I am sure helps to set them. So, I can't say how well either one would stand up without that.

I would strongly suggest these two products (or a similar shade) to anyone else who has fair, cool toned skin. This shade is like blending together light brown and a rosy pink. I think that the rose in it helps to warm up a fair complexion while the brown keeps the color from making you go 'china doll'.

Like I've said, I know that they don't look like much in the package, but try it out. You might be surprised. I know I was! And now you only have to spend $5 to try it rather than $25!

Who else has to be careful not to go 'china doll' with their blush?

2 comments:

  1. Great dupe :) I've been wanting to get my hands on some of these NYC blushers but they dont sell them in the UK. x
    PS i'm having a giveaway if you want to check it out x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dupe!! Buhuhu I want NYC cream blushes, but we don't have NYC in Greece and I can't find them on ebay! :(

    drugstoreandbargainlover

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails