Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thoughts on Dead to the World - the 4th Sookie Stackhouse Book

There are no explicit spoilers here. However, if you truly don't want to know anything about the book, please do not read this because I do allude to a few plot points.

Yes. I finished another one.

If you read my previous posts on the books that I've already finished, you'll know that I am not the biggest fan of Charlaine Harris' writing style.

She sometimes rushes her storyline, doesn't develop her characters enough for my taste, and even left a few continuity errors (aren't editors paid to catch those?) But, somehow, I keep going with them because I really want to know what happens... So maybe Harris is really a genius!

Actually, I think it's because I am so captivated with the TV version. But I digress...

Without giving away plot specifics, Harris has repeated a, in my opinion, literary faux pas. In the last book, I said that an important issue poses itself near the beginning and runs through most of the book. Then, when it is finally resolved, the answer is lackluster.

A similar thing happens in this one... How frustrating. I know that she was trying to create a twist, but it just didn't work. The answer to the mystery isn't very exciting (though the later effects of it may be - we'll see), and the explanation of why it wasn't solved earlier is weak.

Although, as an interesting twist, I am team Eric now, which I didn't think would ever happen. But, part of that is because Bill's character is being made much 'flatter' (if you read it, you'll see what I mean).

As much as I want to know what happens next, I really need a break from Harris. So, I'll be interjecting another author into my recreational reading time before I move on to the next installment of Sookie's life.

And, in the meantime, I'll be watching HBO's version of book 3. They've already made one big addition/plot change, and I'm very interested to see where they take it.

Happy reading, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails