Thursday, August 19, 2010

How to Smell Like a White Floral Mess

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit of a perfume addict. I may have more makeup, but my serious attitude towards perfume came first and, in a way, I still take it more seriously.

I'll also admit to having a love-hate relationship with celebrity perfumes. There are a few that are nice, but in general they have poor staying power and aren't very innovative (if you've smelled one, you've smelled most of them). But I can appreciate that some people still like these, and I respectfully accept that we won't all be attracted to the same scents.

I can't be respectful this time... Never before have I actively wanted to wave my arms in front of anyone buying a scent because of the celebrity name attached to it and tell them to run to their nearest higher end perfume counter to see what perfumes should be!

A little write up on what this perfume was supposed to smell like according to Sephora:

sultry style with crisp top notes, lush mid notes, and a sexy drydown. Gorgeous, voluptuous florals reflect her allure, while soft jasmine, tuberose, and gardenia mirror her femininity. Tonka bean, jacaranda wood, and sandalwood add a warm, sensual base.

The notes listed are:

Mandarin, Honey Suckle, Orange Blossom, Pink Jasmine, Tuberose, Sensual Spice, Lush Gardenia, Jacaranda Wood, Tonka Bean, Vanilla Orchid, Sexy Musk, Creamy Sandalwood.

Looks lovely on paper, yeah?

Anyone know which perfume I'm referring to yet?



It's Kim Kardashian's namesake fragrance.

I expected this to have sweet citrus top notes with a drydown to a rich vanilla floral. Not so, dear friend.

I sprayed this on my hand in the store and immediately regretted it. There is no sign of those citrus notes that were promised, and you are left with a sickeningly thick white floral scent (gardenia) that is poorly balanced by musk. To make it worse, the notes have an artificial quality to them - especially the floral - which makes it sharp and unpleasant. It also has a powdery undertone to it - this combined with the artificial floral reminded me of the scent of someones grandmother whose olfactory senses may be failing.

In all honesty, it smells extremely cheap. With poorly balanced, poor quality notes, it reminds me of one of those cheap perfume knockoffs. Sorry, Kim.

In the spirit of experimentation, I didn't wash it off just to see how long the scent would last. Three hours later and I still had full-force granny living on my hand. At least it has good lasting power for a celebrity scent. Interestingly, by hour four only a faint hint of powder was left (literally, it smelled as if I'd sprinkled baby powder on myself).

I cannot at all understand how this perfume was released under Kardashian's name. With the image she is portrayed with, I really expected her (or the professionals behind her) to release something sexy and sultry. This is nowhere close to either.

So, if you are one of those people considering purchasing her perfume - here I am standing in front of you waving my arms begging you to just turn around and walk away.

Have you smelled this? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. I unfortunately smelled this today. I'm not surprised it stinks. Everywhere you look this chick is putting her name on something. So I'm not surprised she half-a**ed this. What should we expect from someone who's famous for nothing? Great review Caitlyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it awful??? It doesn't really surprise me if I hear that celebrities aren't very invovled (if at all) in products that get their names put on them, but I was extremely surprised by how bad this was. I would have expected the people who formulated it for her to have done a better job or for her handlers to keep it from being released in this state.
    Especially since her target audience is 'younger', yet the scent smells 'older'. Really bad marketing choice, huh? haha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails