Monday, August 9, 2010

Removing Makeup Should Not Be Painful

... at least that's what I think.

For the past few years, I've used cream and gel products to remove my eye makeup. They've always worked pretty well at getting off all the shadow and liner I may have slapped on that day, but they never did much on mascara. So I'd be left with the dreaded raccoon-eye effect after washing my face and have to repeat the removal process to get the remnants off.

I decided that perhaps it was time to broaden my horizon and try out a liquid formulation - surely it would pose more of a threat to my mascara. So I looked around at what the drugstore had to offer and settled on Almay's oil-free formula.



I don't know why, but I've always had the impression that Almay was a more natural brand than many others at the drugstore - perhaps it's the packaging? The front said it contained aloe, cucumber, and green tea; and the back says that it

'nourishes skin as it gently removes eye makeup, even waterproof mascara, without irritation'

Sounds good, yeah? So I picked it up and started using it that night. A few days later, I noticed that my lids and around my eyes were getting extremely sensitive. My skin didn't look red or swollen, but it was so sensitive that even my makeup brushes were painful to use. I know beauty is pain, but that's too much! It was the week that I was doing my Naked palette challenge, so I was a little worried that I might be allergic to something in the shadows, but I hadn't had any issues with those in the Alice palette so I ruled that out.

The only other thing in my routine that had changed was the makeup remover so I went back to my cream formulation. Two days later and the sensitivity was gone. Darn you, Almay! I don't consider myself to have very sensitive skin, so for something to give me an adverse reaction that quickly is a big deal.



I'm not sure which ingredient could be responsible. At first I suspected the sodium trideceth sulfate, but with a quick search, I found that this sulfate is what is often used in baby shampoos - supposedly formulated not to irritate the eyes. So I don't know what did it.

I also did a search on some product review sites and found that I'm not the only one who has a problem with this product - about 1/3 of the reviews I looked through complained about it irritating their skin. A few even said their vision gets blurry after using it - even if they're careful not to get any in their eyes. I could see that happening a little if there was oil in it, but this formula is oil-free. Scary.

Did it remove makeup well? Yes

Will I use it again? There's no way.

So disappointed.

Epic product fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails