Wednesday, September 1, 2010

OPI Go Goth! Mini Nail Polish Set

Even though it's only the beginning of September, I am completely ready for fall and all that comes with it - including Halloween! It's one of my favorite holidays so I was extremely excited when I saw that some companies are already bringing out special items for the season.


Reader, meet OPI's Go Goth! mini set of polishes for Halloween. It comes with four mini polishes and a black lace cuff bracelet (interesting little thing to throw in, eh?)


From left to right: Unripened, Nevermore, Sanguine, and Obscurity.

Unripened is a black base with lots of blue shimmer. From the looks of the bottle, I thought that it also had purple shimmer depending on how the light hit it, but on application only the blue shows up. This is a really pretty polish, but I don't think it's a must have by any means. I think it would be pretty easy to find a comparable color. This is 2 coats.

Nevermore on the other hand is beautiful. It still looks very dark (almost black) when it's in shadow, but in the light it's a gorgeous, rich purple with lots of purple sparkle (and sometimes a little pink if the light hits it right). Also 2 coats.
Sanguine is my favorite of the four. It's a true blood red, which doesn't seem all that special; but what makes it is the glitter. The glitter in this one is much more finely milled than that in the previous two and there's more of it, so as you move your nail around in the light, it truly glimmers. Without light hitting it, it appears as a very dark red, but when the light does catch it, it's like a mass of tiny sparks of red light jumping out from this dark red base and then disappears when the light isn't directly hitting it. I know some of you are saying, 'yea... that's what glitter does!' but this is different. It's difficult to explain without actually being able to show it in action. You can get a good idea of it just by moving the bottle around in the light, so I'd suggest going to check it out in the store if you can. It's gorgeous - very vampy. I think I may end up purchasing the full size of this. This was also 2 coats.

And finally, Obscurity. It's a matte black, plain and simple. This is my first matte polish, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. To me, it sort of looks like I just took a black sharpie to my nail - weird. The crazy thing about this one though is that this is 1 coat, and it dries almost instantly - as in I pull the brush across my nail, and the top is almost dry 2 seconds later. I actually found that I had to wait a moment between brush strokes to let the previous one set so I didn't pull around the partially dry polish with another stroke.

Have any of you tried matte polishes? If so, is this typical of them?

And in case you were curious about the bracelet -


It's alright. It's a nice little thing to throw in and could be fun closer to Halloween.

What do you think of these? Which is your favorite?

Are you ready for Halloween to get here already or are you sane (unlike me) and won't get into it until it's at least October.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Oooooo I like Nevermore! Pretty! Great review Hun :) I'm super sad to see summer go. Not sure if I told u but I'm disabled ( yep, in a wheelie ) & it's easier for me in the summertime. I do enjoy fall though. Also, I don't talk about that kinda stuff on twitter...I don't know everyone who follows me, u know? Anywho, great job...again! <3 Ter aka bobbysgeel

    ReplyDelete
  2. @bobbysgeel ah, i can see how summer would be easier - especially if you get a lot of ice and snow in winter. and i've never heard that term 'wheelie', i love that! haha
    as much as i love winter, i think fall may win by a thin margin. i really love fall colors and how the air starts to get that crispness.
    and i get what you mean about twitter. not only do you have the followers, but with an open account anyone can look at your tweets. you never know who might be peeking in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails