Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Warning About Stila's Travel Palettes

You all know that I am a huge fan of Stila's Convertible Color - specifically the shade 'peony'. So, I was extremely excited when I saw that they were coming out with a line of mini travel palettes that would each have 4 shadows and a limited edition shade of the CCs - and for only $10 apiece. With a full sized convertible color selling for $25, this would be a much less expensive way to add some new shades to my collection (even though the ones in the palettes aren't as large).


I finally got my hands on the two palettes that are currently out (Pretty in Paris and Across the USA) and was truly expecting to end up writing a rave review for these things as a great way to try out the CCs if you didn't want to shell out for the full-sized ones. The shadows are not up to par quality-wise with Stila's single shadows, but honestly, I was sort of expecting that going in. While they are workable, they are not pigmented and not smooth like the singles. I would actually say that most of my drugstore shadows are better quality than these. However, the convertible colors were gorgeous, the quality seemed identical to those in the permanent line and, even with awful shadows, the price still came out to a good deal.

Two weeks later, and my opinion has completely changed. These things are drying out. I have had my other convertible color for upwards of 6 months, and I would say that its consistency today is the same as it was when I first purchased it. While they haven't completely dried out, I can already feel the top layer of the product losing its creaminess and becoming more difficult to blend. If I rub down through the top layer, I can still get to good product below, but I don't think it will take the 'dryness' long to make its way all the way through. I should not be able to feel a consistency change in two weeks! This 'good deal' is undone if the product won't last.

I can't decide if this difference is due to a change in the formulation that is somehow decreasing its ability to hold moisture or if it's the packaging. The palettes have a light magnetic closure while the other snaps shut, and I am unsure how tight the fit is around the edges on these, so some additional airflow may be happening. However, even with a tighter closure, the one from the main line isn't sealed in a vacuum - there is still air getting to it, and it isn't drying out!

Regardless of what's doing it, I can't suggest getting these at all... As much as I love my convertible color and want everyone to have the opportunity to try them, these palettes will work out as a waste of money.

I hope this has helped some of you out.

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure it's the packaging! That sucks :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I'm thinking it's mostly due to the packaging, too.
    I'm so disappointed :( I expected more from Stila.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I just bought the Aspen one. Was impressed with the quality for such a low price, but I'll have to watch out for the drying out issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you, I have the one make and impression in moscow and adventurous in aspen. The shadows really aren't pigmented... but they are very pretty! the thing is, the convertible colors are really sheer, I can only use them on my lips because the don't show up my cheeks. I don't know if thats how the actual cc work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MakeupSparkle I haven't had that issue with the CCs not being pigmented. Could it be how you're applying it? I always just use clean fingers, but I can see it going on more sheerly if you used a brush. They can also be built up pretty well if you wanted them more intense. But then, I don't have the two books that you do, so maybe those two just aren't good to begin with because pigmentation shouldn't be an issue with them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails