Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sometimes It Pays to Dig...

and when I say dig, I mean through sale racks. By the end of this post, I want you all to be excited about the prospects of bargain shopping.

In case you don't know yet, I love fancy things but I hate paying full price for them (did I not just describe everyone???) What may separate me from others though is that I actually like looking for those deals. This makes discount stores some of my favorite places to go because the whole thing is like a giant sale rack. T.J. Maxx is my favorite, and I found a great deal there the other day.

I never go into stores like this looking for something very specific; if you do, you'll drive yourself crazy and, more than likely, leave frustrated and empty-handed. So when I go in, I will comb through racks and shelves to see if anything amazing is there but looking for nothing in particular.

One area I always go to is the handbag section, and yesterday I found this medium sized carry on by Perry Ellis.

I'm not sure why the white tag looks like it's glowing...


On the outside, the black is thick twill, the brown trim is very smooth leather, and the inside has a very nice lining. It's extremely well made, so I will probably have it for many years.

This bag had already been clearanced twice (you can tell because there are two red stickers).

As you can see, according to T.J.Maxx, this bag was originally $40. I'm not positive about where the store gets their 'compare at' prices, but they are often wrong. My theory is that the original price is actually the final price that the item was sold for at its store before it was sent to TJM. Often you will find that the higher the true original price of the item is, the more wrong TJM will be; but if it represents a final sale price from the original store, it makes more sense.

I know the name Perry Ellis but have never purchased anything from the brand to give me an idea of their typical price point; but even if $40 was the true original price, $10 was still a good deal.

But even if it looked like a good deal already, you'd still be curious about the true original price, right? How much did you really save on an item...?

Unfortunately, most of the time we will never truly know what the original price is unless it is current season so that you can look it up OR if the original price tag is still on it...


Wow... I paid 6.25% of the original price, and it only took me about 10 minutes to scan through all of the bags and find this. Time well spent!

You won't always find deals this big at discount stores, but this just goes to show that it can happen! And do you realize how many people must have looked this over for it to have time to get marked down twice? So when you go to these stores, pay attention! You might find great deal.

What's the best deal you've ever found? I'd love to hear about it!

4 comments:

  1. Wowwww! Good job! I got a brand new Kathy von Zeeland bag with the tags still on it for $20 @ a resale shop. I got home & looked it up online( I couldn't get to the original price...it peeled off) & found it was $190! Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ter You would love my TJMaxx then! They've had like half a wall in the bag department almost entirely devoted to her bags for the past month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good deal I did that with a dereon bag I didnt save as much as you did but I came close

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgetmaenot: Isn't finding deals like that the best? It's like an adrenaline rush - and my wallet definitely appreciates it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails