Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Basin - A Look Inside My Favorite Bath Shop

As promised in the previous post, I will be highlighting my favorite shops at Disney, and this is the first of the two.

Basin is a bath store located in Downtown Disney which sells lovely, predominately handmade, bath items. I've heard some people compare it to Lush minus the nauseatingly strong in-store smell. I've never been to a Lush, so I can't comment on the comparison, but I can say that I don't think anyone could get a scent headache walking in to this place.

You may be wondering, Why have I never heard of this store? Well, it's probably mainly due to there only being two in the country, this one in Orlando and one in California's Downtown Disney. There is another store called Basin White which is supposed to represent a more luxurious version of the Basin products which also only has two locations - one in Disney's Grand Floridian Hotel in Orlando and one in Las Vegas. So, with only four locations between the two, there isn't much opportunity to discover this place.

While you can order their products online, it is so worth making a point to visit the store if you have the chance.

Take a look!


 bath bombs

bath salts

body butters

some soaps and body butters (the front soap on the left is a Halloween leftover!)


more of their hand cut soaps.
their soaps are on tables all over the store, so I couldn't get a shot with all of them

Good to know!


The store also has things like shampoo bars, massage bars, and sugar and salt scrubs that I didn't get photos of. The store was very busy, and I tried to be respectful by not getting strangers in my pictures (and I was trying to be a bit sneaky about it).

While I haven't tried all of the items this store has to offer, I am absolutely in love with it because of two products -

Their soaps create a lovely lather that leaves my skin feeling both clean and moisturized - not stripped as many bar soaps tend to do. It also doesn't hurt that almost all of them have a cute image or pretty pattern in them and they smell lovely (my absolute favorite is the Tahitian Vanilla). In the store, all of the soaps are priced based on their weight with most ranging between $4.50 and $7.50. You can also purchase their soaps from their site http://www.basin.com/, but they are priced at a flat $5.99 from there.

The other star product is their body butter. These are hands-down the most amazing ones I have ever used.
They are neither too thick or too thin, have a silky smooth texture, and soak into the skin beautifully. A little bit of it goes a long way so, even though it is a bit expensive at $15, one of them will last you an extremely long time and, like the soaps, they all smell amazing (my favorite is the Almond). They have two scents out right now for the Christmas season: Pumpkin and Peppermint. The Pumpkin was nice, but a bit too strong for my liking; but I did pick up the Peppermint and am really looking forward to using it! 

Even if you don't want to spend money here, I'd still say it's worth making a quick visit if you can. It really is a lovely store to go into and browse around. They have unwrapped sample slices of all the soaps out so you can get a good sniff of them, testers of all the lotions to try, and there are two sinks where you can test all of the scrubs. Actually, I think that even if you do go in intending to spend nothing, you'll end up finding something you love and walking out with a bag.

I'm usually good for wasting at least an hour in here!

and a fun extra:

There was an event held at Downtown Disney called The Festival of the Masters where many artists came to create live works of art where bystarders could watch the projects take shape.

I didn't know about the event until after it was over, so I didn't get to see anything being made, but one of the projects was a Mickey figure carved out of a 250 lb block of soap which was still on display in the Basin store:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails