Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mascara Review: Maybelline Lash Stiletto Voluptuous

I don't feel like my expectations for a good mascara are too high - give me some volume without making my lashes look like tarantula legs. I know it's possible because I already have some that deliver!

However, this doesn't seem to stop me from looking for new ones. Maybe I'm always hoping for something that will perform a bit better than the ones I already turn to?

I'd heard quite a few people rave about the volume they get from Maybelline's Lash Stiletto mascara, so when I stumbled on it on clearance, I picked one up.
The applicator has a subtle S-shaped curve to it which I found extremely odd. I couldn't manage to show it well in the photo, but you can sort of see the curve I'm referring to. I can't figure out what the logic behind the shape was, and I actually found that this made it more difficult to get the applicator to fit into certain areas well (bases of outer lashes were a pain!). The look of the bristles also made me a bit nervous... a bit tarantula looking themselves, don't you think?

But did it volumize? Sort of...


Hello, awkward, up-close eye!

The product does build on itself very quickly to create volume, but it doesn't do it at all smoothly. In the photo, you can see that it gathers together very unevenly to create that awful tarantula effect. More coats could have been applied to make my lashes even thicker, but the clumping effect built faster than the volumizing so I stopped applying it before I started looking too scary! I tried this stuff for about 5 days thinking maybe I just need to get used to the brush, but my lashes always went tarantula.

The results of this mascara are thicker lashes that would probably look lovely from a distance, but up close it's a bit of a mess. I don't quite understand why so many people love this, but to each their own.

I know I won't be purchasing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails