Monday, January 31, 2011

Random Rambling: When Did Television Go Crazy…?

I’m not a big fan of reality television. I understand the voyeuristic appeal of it to a point (we’re all a bit nosey, aren’t we?); but I’ve never gotten too pulled into most of these sorts of shows. This past Saturday though, I got transfixed by one that I’d never heard of – not because of its quality, but because I absolutely could not believe the premise of the show!

Reader, meet Bridalplasty. (note, this video contains a few small clips of plastic surgery procedures, so please don’t watch it if you’re squeamish).


The idea of the show is that these girls are competing to get their dream wedding; but along the way they also compete to get cosmetic procedures done. At the end, the winner will have been separated from her fiancé for 4 months; and he’ll get to see his ‘new’ (in more than one sense of the word) bride when she’s unveiled during the ceremony! I understand the tradition of not letting the guy see the dress until the big day, but this is a bit much, no?

I’m not normally at a loss for words, but… really? Really???

When did we stop taking cosmetic procedures seriously? Part of me wants to take all of these girls by the shoulders and shake them, yelling Do you not realize what you’re doing? It’s still SURGERY! Bad things can happen on that table, and yet they seem to be going through it multiple times without a second thought.

Beyond the physical risks, you also have to think about the psychological ones. I wonder if these girls get caught up in the show and do start going under the knife without much consideration because that’s what you do on the show. But then what happens when they get home and look in the mirror? What if they can’t see themselves anymore? Too bad. Can’t undo it.

It was the second to last episode that I saw, so obviously a lot has happened that I missed; but when they showed clips from throughout the season, the girls’ faces were always bandaged and bruised. It looked like the elimination room of America’s Next Top Model meets Fight Club - and we all know the first rule of Fight Club (right?); but everyone gets to talk about this since these brides-to-be decided to go through all this in front of a camera.

I can’t really say that I am either pro- or anti-cosmetic surgery, but I definitely don’t think it should be done in this way.

What are your thoughts on this? Are you freaked out by the prospect of this show like I am or is this just how our society approaches cosmetic surgery now?

4 comments:

  1. I pretty much am right there with you on this. Have we moved on from 'simple' eating disorders to permanently changing the physical structure of our bodies, in order to feel 'good'? It's terrifying. And the fact that they have these shows on TV like it's entertainment is not going to make it better any time soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reality TV I get sucked into now and then is Survivor, but only because the contestants seem to be a little more aware of what they're signing up for and the massive editing that is done to make people look "good" or "bad" is kind of hilarious on its own.

    I don't have a strong opinion on plastic surgery, except for the concern that it becomes an addiction (good example: Michael Jackson). Once you take the step to "fix" that one thing about yourself, you'll find another and another. I don't have cable so I won't ever stumble across this show, and I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beauty-obsessed: I'm glad you agree! I don't think that plastic surgery should be demonized; but at the same time it shouldn't be taken as lightly as this show seems to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauty Reductionista: The only reality tv I ever really like are competition shows that are based in a skill like Hell's Kitchen or So You Think You Can Dance, but not these 'follow people around' shows.

    I can more easily understand surgeries that bring a person back to where they've previously been (like reconstructive surgery for people in accidents or body lifts for women who've had multiple children), but when people start trying to 'fix' themselves, it goes into a grey area that can lead to a very bad place.

    You definitely didn't miss out by not seeing this. It was like a bad social experiment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails