Wednesday, February 9, 2011

EOS Lip Balm–a Smidge Overrated

Over the past few months, beauty bloggers and vloggers alike have been singing the praises of the new EOS (evolution of smooth) lip balms. With its novel egg-esque packaging and being made of all natural ingredients, it does sound like the next big thing in lip treatments, doesn’t it?

The product description on their website says:
Can a lip balm make you smile? We think so. That's why we invented this one.
  • Long-lasting moisture
  • Shea butter & vitamin E
  • Smoothes on clear
  • New smooth sphere precisely glides on to lips
  • Twist-off top
  • Gluten-free
  • Paraben-free
  • Petrolatum-free
  • Phthalate-free
eos lip balm is 95% organic, 100% natural, and paraben and petrolatum free. Packed with antioxidant-rich vitamin E, soothing shea butter and jojoba oil, eos keeps your lips moist, soft and sensationally smooth. (link here)
 
Now, I’m not here to completely go against what other beauty lovers have said and claim that this is a bad product. It’s not. However, I think that it may have been given a bit more credit than it truly deserves.
 
Eos lip balm

The three that I’ve tried are the Lemon Drop (with SPF 15), Summer Fruit, and Honeysuckle Honeydew.

The biggest issue that I have with these is that many people have sworn up and down that these balms are extremely moisturizing and left their lips really soft. I disagree. It seems to me that the balms work well to create a protective layer over the lips and prevent moisture loss, but they really don’t seem able to add any back in. So, if you’re only trying to keep your lips from drying out and protect them from the elements (cold air, wind, etc.), then you’ll be happy with these. However, if your lips are already dried out, and you're wanting something to remoisturize, then you may need to look elsewhere for more intensive help.

My second qualm is actually with the packaging that others have found so fun.

Eos lip balm2

I have been keeping the Honeysuckle Honeydew at my desk in an attempt to work through it – the Summer Fruit one is still close to its original state, so you can get an idea of how much I’ve gone through. When you first start using the product, the packaging is just a nice little novelty; but the closer you get towards the end of the balm, the more it gets in the way. I’m finding that the closer I get to finishing it, the wider I have to open my mouth to not hit my teeth with the casing (that means only applying it when I know no one is looking – awkward…).

I haven’t seen anyone else cite this problem, but I think that’s because most reviews have been given before the reviewer used it this much. Even though there is still a good bit of product left in my Honeysuckle Honeydew, I think I’ll throw it away pretty soon because it’s just becoming too much of an awkward hassle.

Both the Honeysuckle Honeydew and Summer Fruit balms have a light, sweet flavor and the Lemon Drop really does taste of sweet lemon. One good thing that I can say about the Lemon Drop one is that it has no awful flavor that balms with SPF sometimes have.

Despite these having some good points, I highly doubt that I’ll repurchase any of these three flavors. With having other products that I like better with the hassle presented towards the end of the product's life, it's just not worth it to me. However, I know that eos has more recently released a Tangerine flavor that is supposed to be medicated. If I ever find this one in a store, I will probably pick it up and see if it performs differently.

If you’re still interested in trying these out, they seem to be randomly distributed among different drugstores and sometimes Wal-Mart and Target. I’ve yet to find one location that carries all of their balms (many stores that I’ve seen only have the Summer Fruit and Honeysuckle Honeydew – thus why I have them).

If you can’t find them in a store, you can also order them from drugstore.com, target.com, or amazon.com (there are probably others, but this at least gives you a starting point).

I hope this review has helped some of you out; and I feel like I should repeat – I am not saying that this is a bad product. It definitely does serve a purpose; and, as someone who is becoming more aware of ingredients in beauty product, I appreciate that the ingredients are natural and that it is absent of some (possibly) harmful substances. I just don’t believe that is the be all end all of lip products as some seem to.

So what do you think? Have any of you ladies tried it? Loved it? Agree with me? Am I being too critical?

11 comments:

  1. I want to see it in person to see if it's just as cute and tempting as they look in the pics! But it's sold out everywhere and I don't buy products from online without looking at it firsthand. I have to admit I want this purely for the cute packaging. Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review!!! i've seen this locally in stores but now seeing your pic (the flattened dome) it does get difficult to apply when it's flattened! (like you're trying to eat the lip balm when u apply with your mouth open?!)

    i'll stay away from this balm, wallet saved lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reductionista: The packaging definitely is interesting and novel! Even though I didn't love it, I'd still recommend trying it out if you're interested. The price isn't too bad and it's not even a bad product; I just think it's been given more credit than it actually deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer: Thanks! That's actually a pretty accurate way to look at it; I had to open my mouth wide enough to take a bite out of it :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting us know Caitlin, I was thinking of buying it, but not anymore! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that I was convinced by the hype, and I kept telling myself "you like this!"...lol, but the more I look back at it, I didn't really like it =x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try it because it looks cute but that's about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erika: I'm always concerned that hype will cause that. There are definitely a few products out there that I think a lot of people love because they think they're supposed to love it. I always feel like I'm missing something when I go against mass opinion :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jadegrrrl: haha I think that's fair enough - especially since it doesn't cost much :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have two of them and I agree with you even though I dont have a problem with it when it's allmost used up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its good looking post and information ,, Make is the necessity , Us the Lips Blam on you lips look more elegant
    Chinese Lip Balm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails