Monday, March 14, 2011

Jumping on the Bandwagon–Birch Box

I first heard about Birch box three or four months ago, and feel like I have been beaten over the head with it since (actually just seeing lots of YouTube videos of excited girls opening their monthly boxes – same difference).

For those of you out of the loop, Birch Box is a monthly $10 service that sends you a box with 4 to 5 “deluxe” sized samples of higher end makeup and beauty products.

Part of me was really hesitant to sign up for this because you have no say over what samples you are sent. When you do sign up, you fill out a questionnaire that asks thinks like your skin/hair type and beauty interests, and they are supposed to pseudo-tailor the samples they send to you based on your answers. After seeing quite a few videos about the sorts of samples they send out though(being beaten over the head), it seemed like it might still be money well spent.

In addition, I thought it might act like a beauty fix. I swear, I feel like we beauty girls really are like druggies, and sometimes we need a fix! There are times that I want to try something new for the sake of trying something new, and $10 spent on higher end samples may be better than $10 at a drugstore on products that could be disappointing but I would still feel obligated to use up.

So, without further ado, my first Birch Box.

DSC05245
First time I've ever gotten a PINK box in the mail.

DSC05246
The inner box we've all seen too many times.

DSC05247
All packaged up.

DSC05251
Post ripping packaging off.

DSC05252
Product description card.

Products and Price Points

DSC05253
 blow Thickening Mist

Full Size: 8.5 oz. $21

Sample: 2 oz.

Sample worth: $4.94

I remember seeing this in a past Birch Box, and had wished I could try it, so this worked out well!







DSC05254
Marvis Classic Mint Toothpaste

Full Size: 75 ml $10.50

Sample: 10 ml

Sample worth: $1.40


DSC05258
Pangea Organics Lip Balm in Pyrenees Lavender with Cardamom
Full size: .25 oz $12

Sample: is full size!

Pangea Organics Facial Scrub

Full size: 3.8 oz $32

Sample: .07 oz

Sample Worth: $.59

DSC05255DSC05256
 Pomega5 Daily Revitalizing Concentrate
Full size: 30 ampoules $48

Sample: 4 ampoules

Sample worth: $6.40


We won't talk about the 'brow brush' that came with it because that was just ridiculous.

Total Samples’ Worth: $25.33

So, overall, I more than got my money’s worth in product.

In previous months, it seems that everyone got essentially the same set of products, but a few discrepancies seem to be coming up with this box.

I saw a few videos of girls who got their box earlier than I did, and all of them were getting two towlettes soaked in a self-tanner. I won’t lie – I shuddered a bit. I am almost as pale as you can get, but have absolutely no interest in fake tanner. I conceded that I would just test them out on an area that wouldn’t be seen to see if they really worked, but they would ultimately be wasted on me. But hoorah! I did not get them! I guess they really do take those questionnaire answers into consideration. I also seem to have gotten the capsules in place of a moisturizing mask that many others are receiving. I’d honestly have been happy with either.

It’s not the best Birch Box I’ve seen thus far, but I still think it was worth the price. Right now I’m on the month-by-month subscription, so I’ll probably continue the service for another 2 or 3 months before forming a hard opinion on this; but for now – I’m pleased.

Do any of you do the Birch Box thing?

***All sample worths were calculated using the price per once/ml/whatever of the full sized product.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was that much variation in the samples too, I like how you did the price breakdown. Birchbox is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to sign up for a Birchbox account several months ago, only to discover after typing in all my info that THEY DON'T DELIVER TO CANADA! Oh, woe. I know I would have loved the hell out of these boxes. It's a good idea to sample it for a few months and see how that works out for you. It would be so annoying if the box was full of things you didn't care for, but with the variety, it seems unlikely to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautynscience: I was really surprised when I saw how different yours was! The price breakdown was partly to help justify the purchase to myself.

    Reductionista: I don't understand why they can't ship to a bordering country. Hopefully they'll realize they would have solid customer bases in other places and expand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails