Friday, March 4, 2011

Kinerase is On My List–and Not the Good One

Most of us probably know the name Kinerase as it’s a pretty well regarded brand in the skincare industry. Though I haven’t actually heard from many individuals about their products, it seems that I see a product or two of theirs mentioned as some of the best in beauty and fashion magazines every month.

So, I was pretty excited when one of their products came up as an optional sample in a Sephora.com order. The product was their Daily Defense Lotion SPF 30.

Kinerase SPF Lotion

With expectations high, I used this in place of my normal day lotion. And… hopes crushed. This stuff and my skin do not mix at all.

I wish I could remember well enough to tell you about the texture and scent, but I can’t. I don’t remember being exceptionally put off by either though, so I must have thought they were alright.

My issue with this is that it broke me out! I have combination/dry skin and, I in no way want to sound like I’m bragging with this, I never break out. Even as a pubescent adolescent, I never experienced that right of passage. But the morning after wearing this I had bumps all over the sides of my nose and a few on my chin. And they’re not the ‘easy’ spots that quickly come to a head and can be extracted, they’re the ones that hide deep underneath the skin that cause noticeable bumps and pain, but can’t be fully dealt with until they make their way to the surface. Thank goodness it was only a one day sample – no telling the damage that more could have done!

Needless to say I am annoyed. As someone who has worn sunscreen on her face every day for over 10 years, I know this isn’t my skin revolting against the SPF ingredients. Regardless of what ingredient is responsible though, Kinerase has earned itself a place on my brands to avoid list.

Almost a week later (and intensive use of masks and treatments), the spots are beginning to shrink, but none are completely gone. I looked through a few Sephora reviews, and I didn’t notice anyone else complaining about breakouts, but many cited that it left their skin feeling very oily.

It also doesn’t help that a 2.8 oz tube costs $94. I guess they think a lot of themselves.

To recap, I’m completely unimpressed, and my nose is annoyed.

Have you ever tried anything from Kinerase?

4 comments:

  1. Awwwww that sucks :/ Btw can I have your skin? lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that sucks! Products are so hit & miss. I loved the Kinerase C8 Peptide sample but haven't tried this lotion. Like you said, considering the price tag, it's highly unlikely. Hope your nose feels better soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stavroula: haha only if you take good care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reductionista: I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt since not all products work for everyone, but I've never had this reaction to any product - even heavier feeling ones. Though I'm sure there are probably products from them, this experience has scared me off - especially at their prices! haha.
    And my nose is still annoyed, but getting over it. :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails