Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Shrinking the Stash: Shampoo Edition

I mentioned a few months ago that I was thinking about trying to phase sulfates out of my routine. Since then, I have actually found some amazing hair care products that I would like to become my one and only go-to items (I promise to write about them soon). The bad thing is that I still had a massive number of products to go through that I had previously accumulated. I’ve been working my way through them on ‘off’ days (where I don’t go anywhere or only run errands but still feel the need to wash my hair). Doing this for a few months, I have actually managed to work through a few! Few of them warranted their own post, so I decided to put them all together.



*Click on any photo to enlarge it so you can read the ingredients and directions/claims.

Biosilk Silk Therapy Shampoo
 Biosilk
I picked this one up because I am a fan of the Silk Therapy serum from them. According to the bottle, this combined with heat will provide ‘protection’ for your hair while also making it healthier and shinier.

I did notice that my hair felt soft when I used this, but I don’t think it was any softer than when I use other good conditioning products and noticed no added shine. Also, though I do wash my hair every day, there are some days that I could probably get away with not doing so. With this shampoo though, second day hair was not an option. It always looked a bit more greasy than normal the next day and always needed a rewash. Maybe I don’t use enough heat to activate it correctly?

I try to avoid heat as much as possible, but it might work out better for someone who dries on high heats or does a lot of curling or flat ironing. I’ve seen it at prices from $8 to $14, so it’s not terribly expensive if you want to try it. It’s just not for me.



Neutrogena Clean Volume Body Enhancing Shampoo


This is another product that I got pulled in with the possibility of more volume. I’ve mentioned before that I believe a lot of ‘volumizing’ shampoos do their job by stripping everything out of the hair so that there’s nothing to weigh it down – both product buildup and natural oils. I think this is no exception.

My hair did feel like it had slightly more lift, and though I’ve had worse before, my hair did feel noticeably drier after using this shampoo, no matter how strong a conditioner I used after it. It did give a bit more fluff to my hair, but also made it more flyaway and frizz prone. In all honesty, I finished up the last bits by using it as a body wash. I just couldn’t subject my hair to it anymore.

At only around $4 per bottle, it’s the cheapest of the three, but I wouldn’t use it again.



 David Babaii Amplifying Shampoo

David BabaiiThis is the only one that I’m sad to see go. It’s another one meant to provide some volume. It gives about the same amount of added lift as the Neutrogena, but it doesn’t leave my hair feeling stripped at all. In fact, my hair feels extremely soft after I’ve used this stuff.

And the smell is amazing. It’s a sweet, creamy, spicy amalgamation of goodness. I’ve had other good smelling products, but this one seems to envelope the entire shower like no other when I use it. I’m also working through the conditioner that goes with it, and I don’t think it’s anything special. It’s too thin for my taste and, though they smell the same, the scent doesn’t travel the same way as in the shampoo.

I do have to say I have read some very bad reviews of this product with people saying that it made their scalps break out after a few days of use. Since I’ve used all three of these shampoos on off days and tend to rotate products in general, I can’t speak to anything happening after an extended period of time using it since I didn’t do it. But that is something to look out for if you give this one a try. I believe the most I ever used it was two days in a row, but I never felt any hint of something bad happening.

This is also the only one of the three to contain no sulfates or parabens. Bottles retail for about $10.

*****

So my collection is now three bottles smaller. I have to say that I’m pretty pleased with myself (false sense of accomplishment?).

Have you finished anything lately? Trying to downsize?

2 comments:

  1. Well, you know that I'm more successful in accumulating than downsizing despite my mission. I read elsewhere that sulfate might be harsh on the scalp, so I'm going to take your advice and do the same in phasing them out. The last thing I need is more volume in my hair, so I take a pass on these here except for the Biosilk. Can't wait to see what the good stuff lined up are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working on it for a few months now, and I definitely think it was a good decision. Since I'm in the phase out period, I'm still going back and forth between using sulfates and no-sulfates using up stuff I already had, and my hair always feels better on the days where I use no sulfates.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails