Monday, June 20, 2011

Most Recent Read – A Summer Recommendation

There is a time and place for deep, introspective literature, and other times we just need fun and playful fluff. The last few weeks I’ve needed the latter.

And this is what I went for.



The basic synopsis is a smart, New York girl working in banking gets sick of her job and quits on a whim. Then, as only would happen in a book, she falls into a job at a hot PR and event planning firm. Madness ensues.

The overall feel to this is very similar to that of The Devil Wears Prada – and for good reason, check out the top right corner of the photo if you didn’t catch it already. In fact, the two stories are extremely similar. But it’s all in good fun. I think what makes it work is that it’s a relatively normal girl getting pushed into a more intense, extravagant, over-indulgent environment. There’s love, enemies, frenemies, and the conflict between personal and professional life.

Told you they were similar.

There’s no deep meaning to this and I felt parts of the end were a bit forced, but if you need a fun, basic read; this would make a good option.

What are you reading right now?

3 comments:

  1. My sister had a copy of Devil Wears Prada and I ended up reading it one extremely bored afternoon. Gotta say that I actually prefer the movie, which almost never happens when I have to choose between book or movie. I've seen this one around a lot and probably won't pick it up to be honest. (But I say this as a person who read all of the Shopaholic series as well as Twilight!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love some chick-lit, especially on the beach. Just started reading Jen Lancaster's books and love them. Currently reading The Help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recommendation. I am reading "memoirs of a geisha" at the moment - love it.

    You have a wonderful blog, I will definitly check back to read more of your posts. I wish you all of the luck in the world (although I am sure you don't need it).

    All the best,
    Voe.
    ________________________________________
    http://lipstick-and-pearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails