Sunday, September 4, 2011

I Have a Blog?

A brief update and lessons recently learned.

I know that at this point it probably seems that I have completely forgotten that I have this little space on the internet. I haven't. If you've read my ramblings from a couple of posts back, you'll already know what I've been up to. If you like my rambling and haven't read it, you can check it out here; but if you're in a hurry, here's the short version -

 I've moved. I've started graduate school. I'm a stress ball.

I had hoped I would have found a bit of free time by now, but I haven't managed to fall into a good rhythm yet so everything is still pretty hectic. However, still having part of my heart sitting with the online beauty community, I wanted to take a moment to check in and share a few quick things that I've learned over the process of moving and starting school.

 The deep life lessons -

1. I have a lot of crap.
  There is nothing like having to pack up everything you own to show you just how much stuff you've accumulated. Wrapping every bit of makeup and perfume in bubble wrap doesn't help either. As much as I love makeup (and stuff), this has shown me that I really do have more than I need.
  Although I had already been trying to be more diligent about working through things and more discriminating in new purchases, this has magnified it. I've actually done approximately the same makeup every day for the past 3 or so weeks in an effort to work through a few items. I am determined to shrink this stash!

2. Graduate school is no joke.
  This might seem like an obvious statement, but geez! Perhaps I was a bit ambitious in choosing my courses, but I'm starting to feel like graduate level professors just don't expect you to sleep. And I thought undergraduate was hard...

3. Neither is Zumba.
  I wanted to find a convenient way to get in a good workout at home since I don't really have time to devote to a gym anymore, and I wanted something fun as a distraction from coursework. I've seen a lot of great reviews for Zumba (both for the DVDs and classes) over the past few months, so I ordered this set from Amazon. Holy hell! It's a lot of fun, but by the end of the 1 hour workout, I'm disgustingly sweaty and have easily gone through 2 bottles of water. I've only gotten to do it a couple of times so I can't speak to any personal results, but I can see this easily being enough to stand in for your cardio needs if you go hard at it. And it's more fun than a treadmill!

4. A clothes steamer is both a wonderful and terrible thing.
  In an effort to save space while moving, I packed all of my clothes in space bags. While this did save a lot of space, getting all of the wrinkles out has been a huge pain. I would have gone through bottles and bottles of that wrinkle release stuff by now, so I opted for using a steamer to be a little more environmentally friendly (no discarded bottles). So over the past few weekends, I'm spent a few cumulative hours with wrinkly clothes and steam (and managed to burn myself a few times). So while the steamer has worked magnificently, once I actually get through everything (and this has shown me I have too many clothes) I'd be happy never to see a steamer again.
 
5. I really love the online beauty community.
  Even before this life change, I could have said that I enjoyed this community, but I didn't really realize how much. I've been a bit sad the past few weeks over not having the same amount of time and proximity to my friends and family, but I've also found that I feel sad to be out of the beauty loop on here, too. There are both bloggers and vloggers that I consistently followed, and now I have no idea what's going on with them (or what products they're loving right now : P).
  So, while I don't know when, if ever, I'll be able to work this community into my life the way I would like to, please know that the desire for it is there. I greatly appreciate my fellow beauty lovers who make time in their lives to maintain their own bits of the interweb as well as you readers who take the time visit mine.


So, on the current to-do list.
 - find a school/work/home/internet balance (wish me luck on that one)
 - figure out some things to make in a slow cooker so I can get more food variety without a ton of work
 - find someplace that makes decent sushi (!!!)

6 comments:

  1. I figured grad school had completely taken over. Evil place! Is your program one year or two? And hey, at least you have your priorities straight. School first, blog later. I still haven't mastered that part.

    I've missed your posts and was wondering how you were doing. Thanks for the update and good luck with the work load and everything! Knowing you, you're probably right on top of things. If you can squeeze in some Zumba, I have no doubt you're kicking ass in school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years, but I'm telling myself at least it's only half as long as undergrad. I CAN pull through!
    There have definitely been a few times where I seriously considered pushing back school stuff for a moment to blog, but I knew I'd pay for it the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck in grad school, I did 7 years and finally graduated last November and the beauty community has been my saving grace. Especially on the bad days working with difficult people and experiments. I come home log on and de-stress.

    I'll keep checking back for any updates, good luck :)

    www.beautynscience.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your priorities sound just right..and speaking as someone who struggles to fit it all in, I completely understand. Zumba sounds fun, I'll have to look into that! I love our slow cooker, you can basically dump in whatever you want and call it dinner...so easy. Good luck with school:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to have found your blog - I searched for reviews of some items & came across your space on the web here. Ironically, I've been looking into Zumba myself! Regardless of how much time you have to post in the future, I can see you've definitely added some great content to the beauty blogsphere and I'll be referring back & reading more of your posts! Thanks & best wishes with school & the new crib. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scientist: Thanks, girl! If you made it through 7 then I have no room to complain about 2. Late congratuations on your graduation!

    Tracy: Zumba is so much fun! I haven't gotten to do it as often as I'd like, but it really kicks my butt when I do.

    Honey Bomb: Thanks so much. That really means a lot to me :) And I'm always glad to have a great new reader!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails